The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
The TTC’s recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service and courtesy.”
We are currently seeking Plumbers. This is a 40 hour work week primarily involving night shift with Friday/ Saturday off days.
Requisition ID: 5142
Number of Vacancies: 3
Department: Plant Maintenance (20000007) – Plumbers (30000431)
Salary Information: $40.87, Plus $1 per hour Skilled Trade Premium for all regular hours worked
Pay Scale Group: 0011 (CAN/C/E/0011)
Employment Type: Regular
Weekly Hours: 40, Off Days: Various off days available Shift: Day and Night available
Posted On: May 11, 2022
Last Day to Apply: May 30, 2022
Reports to: Foreperson Plumbing Shop
- Performing varied and complex scheduled/unscheduled maintenance work involving troubleshooting, installation, maintenance, repair and renovation work on plumbing fixtures, heating, drainage, air, water, grease, glycol, lube oil, transmission oil, and windshield washer fluid lines located at all TTC properties.
- Testing of plumbing systems to determine area and type of operational fault, performance of corrective action, testing to ensure correct operation.
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within the area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Possession of a valid Certificate of Qualification as a Plumber, normally obtained through Grade 12 education, plus the successful completion of the apprenticeship training program for the Plumbing trade.
- Must be able to comprehend verbal and written instructions.
- Possession of a valid, non-probationary, Province of Ontario, class “G” driver’s license.
- As required under Ontario Regulation 490/09, of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, selected candidates must successfully satisfy a pre-employment medical examination, test fitting and training for breathing respirators in order to be considered for this job.
- As a successful bidder, you will be required to attend and successfully complete the Training Department’s instruction for truck drivers and pass the written and practical tests required for a Class “D” Driver’s Licence, Subway/SRT Rule Book and WHMIS Certification.
- As directed by management, required to attend and successfully complete various training programs specific to the Plumbing trade.
- Required to provide a set of tools as per the established tool list;
- A copy of your valid Plumber Certificate of Qualification (306-A) must be submitted with your application.
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
The TTC is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, anti-racism and inclusion in the delivery of its services and in its workplaces.
The TTC is committed to fostering a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities it serves at all levels of the organization, and supports an inclusive environment where diverse employee and community perspectives and experiences bring value to the organization.
The TTC encourages applications from all applicants, including members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including but not limited to, Indigenous, Black and racialized groups, people with disabilities, women and people from the LGBTQ(IA+) community.
The TTC values and supports an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Accommodations for applicants are available upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process, including for those who identify as having a disability.
Please contact Human Resources – Talent Management at (416) 393-4570. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The TTC’s policy prohibits relatives of current TTC employees from being hired, assigned, transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a conflict of interest due to a relationship.
Should you be selected for an interview, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee.
Note: All TTC Employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a precondition of employment in accordance with TTC’s Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise only those selected for an interview will be contacted.